How Valerian Root Can Be Helpful To Treat Insomnia
Valerian root has been derived from the plant which is commonly found in Europe and Asia. The root of the plant has been used from centuries and it is very effective in treating many diseases for example; sleep disorders, insomnia, nervous system, relaxation, mood disorders, anxiety disorder and many others. There are so many different uses but studies conducted have shown that it is the most effective treatment for insomnia as it helps to induce sleep. It has mild sedative and tranquilizing properties which make it a good treatment for insomnia and other type of sleep disorders.
Valerian root does help for insomnia but how it works is still yet to be figured out. However, studies have shown that this root contains varieties of compounds but which one works as sedative agents is not known. It is believed that some compounds in this plant helps to increase the GABA chemical in the brain. The GABA chemical in the brain is responsible to provide calming effects to the body, which is why it is effective for relaxation and relieves you of stress and tensions.
How Safe Is To Take Valerian Root For Insomnia And Other Sleep Disorders?
Valerian root has been known as an effective and efficient treatment for insomnia and other sleep disorders. However, it is safe to take even if you have the following:
• Grand mal seizure or partial seizures
• Food allergy and food intolerance
• Liver diseases
You can consult your doctor and he/she will also be able to properly guide you on how to take Valerian root depending upon the severity of your problem. However, it becomes necessary that you discuss your doctor about any ongoing prescription that you are taking for insomnia as combining them may prove harmful for your body. So insist on a proper advice before taking this treatment.
• Valerian root has been classified by the U.S. food and drug administration as a safe to use herb for food. However, precautions are a must when you are taking it for medicinal purposes. The quantity taken has special importance as if you take it a larger amount, it may be dangerous.
• If you are suffering with liver problems, it is advised that you do not take this treatment. As studies have shown that you are at risk when you combine it with other herbs and medicines ongoing for your liver treatment. So avoid taking the root if you are suffering with liver problems.
• Apart from treating sleep disorders and insomnia, also has been known to provide good effects on seizures. However, it is advised that you do not take it as a medicine for seizures unless until your doctor approves it use. It may not be that much successful in treating seizures.
• If you have been taking Valerian root from a long period of time for insomnia, do not immediately provoke its use. It may cause withdrawal symptoms and can create confusion or cardiac problems.
So keep in mind the precautions while using Valerian root as a treatment for insomnia and other sleep disorders.